Sunday, July 22, 2007

07222007

I came across the live web coverage of the Ironman in Lake Placid this morning. Those folks are amazing. The first female was something like 9:30-9:40? The only one of those events that I can even imagine doing is 112 mile bike ride. I've ridden 85+ before so I'm pretty sure with training I could manage 112. But not at 20 mph. And then run a marathon ... at one time, I thought maybe I could but now I'm pretty sure it would not be worth the abuse on my joints. And swimming 2.4 miles? well enough said there. Maybe in a life jacket.

I woke up stiff and sore all over but recovered quickly once I got on the bike. I did an easy 17 miles, few hills. I also tested a "Power Bar Gel" - tangerine flavor. I really didn't need any nutrition as I was only out for an hour and I had a decent breakfast not long before. It tasted OK, really sweet. I might be a better candidate for diluted sports drinks instead of gel. Or maybe it would be different if you really needed it.

At any rate, the ride felt great, so maybe it was the gel, or the slow pace (~15 mph). I am getting quite comfortable on my road bike. There is one gear that I have alot of trouble shifting into. I may have to take it in before I leave.

Then I did some yardword and other chores. Then decided to do an easy swim. Easy for me anyway. I had hoped to do some drills in the shallow pool but naturally the one time I want to do that it was full and it's too small for two. The first guy was doing some drill-like things. Next some girl got in there and apparently wanted to practice dog paddling. So I did alot of lengths with the pull buoy. I wanted to practice rotating more. I have a pretty sore right side of my neck and shoulders because I don't think I'm rotating enough. I wanted to work on the bilateral breathing .. but in the little pool. I did practice it at the wall some, it feels very unnatural to me. I want to learn how to do it, not so much for this year's races but for the swimming I hope to do over the fall and winter. I think I'll be more efficient if I can breathe to both sides.

1 comment:

Ann and Tim said...

I think those full iron man's are crazy!!

There will definiyly be tri's again next year, so look for a good training plan for us!