Saturday, July 14, 2007

grumpy melonhead ...

At least I was last night until I finished my ride ....

I found out that the open water swim will still be at SMP for the next couple weeks so I don't have to go further away to a new place. And I can ride after the swims.

Last night I went to SMP and thought maybe I could swim in the actual swim area and then ride. The swim area is big enough, I guess, but they have it divided in 3 areas with ropes between them so you have to duck under. The very back of the swim area is deep enough that I cannot stand ... well stand and still breathe anyway. So I dorked around swimming for awhile. There was a very cute family enjoying a play day at the beach there as well but no one else. I didn't think I really did much but my arms are a little sore today. I felt a little goofy swimming around in there while they were tossing the beach ball around.

Here is something I don't get: how is the breaststroke a 'resting' stroke? I understand why people swim it in open water, because you can see where you're going. But I find it exhausting and painfully slow. So I guess my task for the pool this weekend is to do more breaststroke. That should wear my little arms down to a nub.

Then I grumpily went back to my car, sans towel that I had left in the car, and cleaned off a little and moved the car over to the marina lot where the cyclists park. Sigh, it's by the mountain bike trails and most everyone there had a mountain bike. I think Tuesday I'll bring that bike, I have hardly gotten to ride dirt this year.

So I took three laps again. The first one counterclockwise, second one clockwise. I think it's equally hard in both directions. My average speed for the first two was 16.3. It felt pretty hard though. Then my last lap was a little slower. I felt strangely whupped, even though Thursday was an off day.

A 'tri suit' is going to be necessary. There is no way that you want TWO layers of wet spandex and a little bike short pad all crunched up in your crotch for 14 miles.

1 comment:

Ann and Tim said...

grumpy, grumpy melonhead.

Is the only thing that makes you less grumpy the exercise? Isn't there a hug or something that will work?