Sunday, July 15, 2007

the only good thing about the breaststroke ...

is the name.

After reading some race reports and Ann's report of breaststroking 2/3 of her dip, I figured I better get jiggy with the breaststroke. So I gave it alot of attention today in the pool. I will say it seemed to get a little better by the end. It really makes my arms tired, especially my forearms. In fact, typing is not so easy.

I lost count of lengths but I did somewhere between 500 and 750 m. But alot of stopping. I'm not sure that I am really THAT much slower with the breaststroke than the freestyle, but it feels like it. I consciously made myself slow down today because I think before I tried to do it too fast, really wearing myself out.

I think if I have to do much of it in open water, I will sorta freak out because you can see just how incredibly far you have to go every time you breathe. It's not like I am trying to make any kind of time, I am more concerned about just covering that distance without really being able to stop.

Earlier today, I went on a 15 mile ride, which took about an hour. It really cuts into your average speed when you have to stop for lights, slow down for stop signs, etc.

1 comment:

Ann and Tim said...

I think it is odd that your forearms hurt because of the breaststroke. But keep going!!! Good job.

I think it is important to have a backup stroke.